Everywhere you turn, studies pop up on the health benefits of coffee, alcohol, and chocolate. These findings, though sometimes weak, are well loved because they minimize our guilt when indulging.
So what’s my philosophy on treating yourself?
- When you indulge, go for a treat with high quality ingredients.
- Be moderate regarding quantity.
- Remember that a treat should not be a daily occurrence.
- Relish every morsel you eat and every sip you take. Drinks and desserts are meant to be enjoyed.
Today I’m shining the spotlight on coffee, the beloved drink of employees everywhere. I don’t condone drinking a cup of joe on a daily basis. However, I think that if consumed occasionally, the following creamy coffee recipe (often referred to as bulletproof coffee) is an acceptable way to get an energy kick during a grueling work day.
Coffee can easily wear out your blood sugar organs and adrenal glands, which both help your body to deal with stress. Therefore, if you drink coffee, it’s best to pair it with good quality fat, which helps mitigate the negative affects of the caffeine and sugar in coffee. Good quality, unprocessed fat provides steady, long term energy. It will help you avoid the typical coffee crash you feel after caffeine wears off.
Creamy Coffee Concoction Recipe:
- 1 cup of coffee (preferably organic)
- 1 tablespoon organic butter (try Kerrygold)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Dash of real vanilla extract (optional)
- A drop or two of liquid stevia (optional)
- Brew coffee as normal.
- Combine coffee and other ingredients in blender or food processor. Blend until frothy (typically ~20-30 seconds).
- Drink right away and enjoy!
*Warning: Coffee should not be consumed by those who have high blood pressure, blood sugar imbalances, adrenal fatigue, or who are pregnant.
Do you know a friend or co-worker who would benefit from this article? Pass it along.